Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A humble approach to going fast


Adam Metzler(439) battles closely with fellow pro Tiger Lacey(221) at Albany MX.



  • Who: Adam Metzler
  • What: Competing on the national motocross circuit
  • Why: To compete among the best and make it a career
  • How: Through hard work and support of family, friends and sponsors.
  • Quote:"You think you're trying your hardest but the top guys are lapping you half way through the moto and you just realize its pretty intense"

Saturday, May 23, the 2009 motocross nationals started with their opening round at Glen Helen raceway in San Bernardino, Calif.

Adam Metzler is an AMA licensed pro who is competing as a privateer on the national circuit. He currently rides a Honda CRF450 and travels along with his technician Chris Booth. Metzler is 21 years old and is from Gaston, Ore. This is his fourth season at being a national license holder. He has had a lot of success as local rider here in the northwest, and each year he finish’s higher and higher up as he gains experience among the world’s best riders.

Metzler wasn’t too thrilled about how the weekend’s national at Glen Helen ended when a rock punctured his front tire leaving him unable to finish and having to pack up and look forward to next weekend’s race at Hangtown raceway in Prairie City, Calif.

When did you first start riding, and when did you think this could be your career?

AM: I started when I was about seven or eight riding in the woods. Doing it for fun at first and then just kept doing it for fun until I was 14 then decided I wanted to actually take it to the next level. When I turned 16 I realized I could make somewhat of a career out of it and turned pro, now I’m trying to make a living off it.

When was your first race, how old were you?

AM: I want to say my first race was on an RM80 when I was about 11 at Albany.

You’ve seen a lot of success locally here in the northwest, how much different is it now being a national rider?

AM: It’s a huge difference. I mean you go from getting top three’s and winning all the time back in the northwest, and then you come down here and you think you’re trying your hardest but (laughs) the top guys are lapping you half way through the moto and you just realize that it’s pretty intense.

Now you race the 450 class as opposed to the 250 class, why is this switch better for you?

AM: To tell you what I would be better on a 250, but it involves a bunch more money in the small bike class because everyone has a satellite or factory ride, and I think you stand a better chance in the 450 class because all you have to do is dump 500 bucks into an exhaust system where your pretty comparable with the rest of them, but where with the smaller bike you would have to dump six grand in it for it to even come close. Plus maintenance and everything is way less on the bigger bike.

But isn’t the competition a lot harder?

AM: Uh..yes and no. The only thing that’s the big difference about it, is all the 450 guys are skilled in what they do, they’ve been doing it forever so they know how to handle stuff and don’t make nearly as many mistakes. I mean if you can ride the 450 good then it’s pretty much the same, but they’re a lot of fast guys.

Now that you have Chris Booth your technician how is different than before you two teamed up?

AM: Oh it’s a world of difference going from having to worry about the race then coming off with something wrong with the bike then trying to fix it yourself for the next moto and just adding stress. And now you come off the track and being able to tell someone what’s wrong with it and talk it over is way easier on the mind and makes life a thousand times easier.

How did you two team up?

AM: Corey Hollen and me hanging out like every day, and he was living with him and one day Corey was like Booth said he would travel everywhere with you and help you out as much as you needed. Of course me being my stubborn self said oh yeah ok. So then one weekend I just gave him a shot and ever since then we’ve been hooked and he’s living with me.

Did you travel a lot as an amateur like a lot of the other pros?

AM: Yeah we did as much as money would allow, we did Texas every year, Las Vegas World Mini every year, and tried to hit up Loretta Lynn’s in Tennessee if we were good enough and made it, other than that we did mostly local races in the northwest.

How supportive is your family with your racing?

AM: I want to say like 197 Percent behind me. Ever since I turned 18 and started turning pro and getting my own attitude and mind my dad kind of stepped back a little bit and let me do my own thing, but still behind me 100 percent, and they still come out and watch me. It’s better for them now there’s not two brothers racing now they just got to worry about one (laughs).

So goals for this season, are you trying to land a ride this season?

AM: Yeah I mean that’s what I’m shooting for every year, but the best I can do is just put my name out there whether it’s in the northwest scene or down here. Hopefully sooner than later someone will notice me. Practicing with all these guys down here I’m keeping up with them, someone has to see sooner or later so I’m just hoping and not going to give up, my older brother gave up to easily. I am going to keep pushing till either it’s not going anywhere or I get a ride then it will be that much easier

No comments:

Post a Comment